Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Steeeeeve!!!

I've fused myself to the sofa, enjoying this season's new TV offerings, both daytime and primetime. Here in New York, The Ellen Degeneres show is on before noon again, after relinquishing last year's 4p.m. timeslot. Though the new season hasn't premiered yet, I'm looking forward to watching Drew Carey host The Price Is Right. But the biggest boon of all to my beloved TiVo has been The Steve Wilkos Show.

Steve, former Jerry Springer bodyguard extraordinaire, is a surprisingly capable host. Last year, he toiled on Fridays as Jerry's sub, blocking punches even as he lobbed questions at guests. Like many men of his size, he has a gentle demeanor, but has no problem losing his shit when things go too far. And on his new show, things go too far fairly often.

The show itself is like a melding of old-school Sally Jessy Raphael (guilt and crying); 90s Springer (before the fights became noticeably staged); and hardcore Geraldo (Steve, like Geraldo, is perfectly willing to fight his guests!)

I can't say I'll watch everyday, but in between viewings of Tyra and Montel Williams (but ONLY when psychic Sylvia Browne is in residence) Steve is a refreshing addition to my afternoon viewing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Montel Williams still has a show?!!!

Layne Blacque said...

Hi Ms. B!

Yep, Montel still comes on here.

Or was that sarcasm?

I'm addicted to psychic Sylvia -- her nails, hushing of the guests when she's wrong, and proclivity for swearing the deceased is directly behind a person -- keeps me tuned in.