Saturday, August 18, 2007

Horsin' Around



A confession:

In November 2006, I wrote my first fantasy story. The story published under Shay Leonard, one of my pseudonyms and contained enough subversive elements and not enough sex to get it published elsewhere. Sin, the first installment in my Horsemen of Apocalypse Island series sold fairly well for a story with little promotion and more mythology than epic passion.

The story sat in my folder until the evening I admitted to my friend Taige Crenshaw that I was a dabbler in the genre. I'm truly a fan of her work, so when she asked me to send a copy of the manuscript, I couldn't get it into her Yahoo IM fast enough. She quickly read the story and gave me her honest opinion, "I loved it. But it could be sexier. It could be so much more bad ass. It could be epic. I think this story could be explored farther."
I threw down the gauntlet, "It's like that, huh? You want to explore my story? Go on, then. Explore."

Two days later she sent me her exploration of Sin. She added examples of elements that would strengthen the story. She called me and admitted that she'd fallen hard for Sin. Her ideas added beauty and dimension to a story I already loved. Our discussions about the characters and mythology were so enthusiastic that we finally discussed a collaboration -- something I'd never before considered. Then we discussed publishing the fruits of our combined labors.

So we shopped our beloved horsies. We looked for a suitable home to showcase their virilty, mythology and their way with the ladies. We were happy to find a home with total e bound.
Taige and I invite you into the mythology of the Horsemen of Apocalypse Island.

To visit the Horsemen, visit:

http://www.layneblacque.com/books/horsemen/sin.htm

No comments: