Thursday, August 9, 2007

Liquid Assets: Wetter, Better

I wanted to wait until I had a cover to show off before talking about the changes in Liquid Assets (re-releases at Loose Id on September 25, 2007). But I can't! I'm excited.

Liquid Assets v1.5 includes the following:

- additional material
- superior editing
- pinker prose
- more depth
- "aha!" moments
- and more liquid lovin'

When I packed my bags and left my first publishing home on a dark January night, I was overcome by emotion. Frankly, I had no idea where I or my stories would end up. For a brief time, I wondered if I'd been correct the previous year--that I should stick to nonfiction and articles and get the hell out of this crazy storytelling business. But the more I tried to suppress the voices of the characters who spoke to me, the unhappier I became.

Then something miraculous happened: writers, friends and readers began whispering in my ear. I'm pretty shy, so realizing that so many people cared about my predicament really touched me. I was awed. I was tickled. So I listened to them. I listened to my heart. I put sassy Cassie on my back and went shopping for her new digs. Turns out, the first stop I made was the right one. With my fetish for "Ls," Loose Id seemed a perfect fit. And I was delighted when they thought so too.

My Loose Id editor's first name begins with an L. We hit it off straightaway. She's a loving taskmaster whose every suggestion and change enhanced the beauty of my story. She understands the characters--something very helpful to me. Not once did she ask me to sympathize, homogenize or de-ball anyone. In fact, when she did request changes, she asked for more depth.

I once told her that editing depresses me. I liken the process to handing over your child to someone only to have them tell you she's homely. But being paired with an editor who sees the beauty in my child -- despite my kid's scabby knees, temper tantrums and flights of delusion -- has humbled me. She gets me. She understands the stories I write.

One weekend after some intense correspondence, I bawled my eyes out with happiness. Yeah, I cry. So what? I cry a lot! I cry because I bleed for my characters. I cry because my creations come alive when they bleed. And while I'm aware that my brand of storytelling isn't for everyone, (I giggled one night when I read a post from a reader who says she doesn't "do tough love") I know that I can't stop writing about these often troubled, tough-talking people. The few times I tried...well, it was a disaster.

So no going gently into that good night for me. If I go, it'll be kicking and screaming as loudly as any of my heroines. And when cornered, they kick pretty hard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent news! Liquid Assets is one of my favorites. I'm very happy to hear you're now dealing with publishers that will do justice to your writing. It always puzzled me why such a fresh, bold voice like yours wasn't snapped up by one of the larger epubs.

I loved the characters of Cassie and Nathan and can't wait to read the revised version of Liquid Assets.

Layne Blacque said...

Why do you stroke me so?

Can you see my grin radiating through my computer? Do you feel my excitement as I gush about this story?

In all seriousness, I'm delighted about Liquid Assets' re-release. Though I'd signed other contracts before LA first came out, it was the first of my stories people got to read. I'm happy about that because it's one of my absolute favorites and sounds like "me."

As for your puzzlement...

In my experience, publishers buy stories they feel readers will enjoy. That usually means stories featuring characters of a certain type. I can understand that because at the end of the day, it's about business and making the most money they can. Better publishers keep track of their winners and probably compile data to help determine why that particular title sold so well.

If they have no data for a specific type of book -- or if the data they have says it's not a "winner" -- than they'll hesitate to buy it. Understandable. There are also hard-to-define criteria and other elements that I won't go into on a public blog, lol!

I look at each new sale the way I looked at my first. I'm equally excited when a publisher or editor welcomes my brand of storytelling.

As always, Ms. B, it's a pleasure chatting with you. Hearing from avid readers like you give me the strength to carry on my campaign to be...me. Thanks.

Layne

Anonymous said...

"Why do you stroke me so?"
Because I think you're fantastic and I want you to know it!

I only got involved in the online romance community a few years ago. Up till then reading was a very solitary experience for me. I'm an old bat in my forties and have been reading romance since I was 13. Yet I had no idea of the various rules and expectations that many romance readers insist on. Quite a few of the authors I like most have had a very hard time in the romance genre. It's pretty sexist and regressive. But I somehow still love romance. I just wish there was more variety allowed in characterization.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that there's a place for writers like you and readers like me. I was deeply disappointed when you left romance last year. I knew it was difficult for you but you were greatly missed.